Click a link below to view complete program information.
Dental Laboratory Technology:
Consider the field of Dental Laboratory Technology if you enjoy working with your hands and have the ability to distinguish between subtle shades of color, size and shape. Dental Laboratory Technology students are prepared as entry-level technicians who assist with the construction and repair of dental appliances.
- Construction of full and partial dentures
- Fabrication of crowns and bridges
- Application of porcelain
- Construction of orthodontic appliances
Small manipulative hand skills are necessary in order to succeed in this program. Laboratory activities are integrated with theory in a curriculum which provides an opportunity for students to acquire a thorough working knowledge of intra-oral anatomy, tooth morphology and dental materials science as it relates to the modern commercial dental laboratory.
Applicants may enter the Dental Laboratory program once a year. They must meet the State's minimum academic standards in reading, mathematics and language, and must have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
Do you want:
- To work as a multiskilled professional in the healthcare field?
- To work in a field where jobs continue to be in high demand?
- To train in a state of the art classroom?
- Combined classroom learning with flexible online learning?
If you answered yes, then the Medical Assistant program is for you. Designed with the student in mind, the 1300 hour, 10-month program is taught as a blended course, in the classroom and online. Some of the areas covered include:
- Laboratory procedures
- Medication administration
- Front office assisting
- Clinical assisting
This program offers an extensive, supervised externship.
Students in the Optometric Assistant program will develop a thorough understanding of the equipment, materials, and procedures necessary to assist the eye care specialist in the diagnosis and treatment of vision deficiencies. Optometric Assistant graduates will go to work with an Optometrist, Ophthalmologist, or an optical establishment.
The Optometric Assistant program offers students the opportunity to work in an un-crowded health care field following completion of program competencies. The Optometric Assistant curriculum is a blend of classroom, laboratory, and clinical instruction. Included in Optometric Assistant are:
- Theory and practical experiences in business management skills
- Testing skills to determine defects in vision
- Preparation and fitting of eyeglasses and contact lenses
- Basic ocular anatomy and physiology
- Employability skills
Applicants who have a high school diploma or its equivalent and meet the State mandated minimum basic standards may enter the program each August.
Become a Pharmacy Technician working under the supervision of a licensed Pharmacist in various health care settings. Pharmacy Technicians are responsible for:
- Preparing and labeling medicines
- Managing inventory
- Compounding IV infusions and much more!
The Pharmacy Technician Training Program offers the instruction necessary for employment as pharmacy technicians and assistants. Working under the supervision of licensed pharmacists, a technician's primary focus involves the preparation, labeling and dispensing of medication to patients while maintaining accurate medical records.
The Pharmacy Technician program blends laboratory activities and classroom theory with specific work experiences satisfied through clinical practicums. Pharmacy Technician Program content includes:
- Sterile techniques
- Intravenous preparation and USP797 requirements
- Typing prescription labels
- Prepackaging unit doses
- Purchase orders
- Filing and dispensing prescriptions on QS-1 system
- Maintaining patient records
- Distributing medication and
- Communication skills.
Applicants who have a high school diploma or its equivalent and meet the state mandated minimum basic standards may enter the program each August and complete the following June.
This course is designed to prepare students for employment as nursing assistants, nursing aides and orderlies to work in Nursing Homes, and take the Florida State Certification Test.
- Infection Control
- Employability Skills
- Communication Skills
- Legal & Ethical Responsibilities
- Nursing Assistant Skills
- Patient Care Procedure
- Computer Literacy
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Health Care Delivery
- Geriatric Care
- Schedule a Medical Technology Orientation & Interview by calling 754-321-5840.
- Complete a physical examination and immunization form by a doctor.
- Complete the drug screening ($32).
- Complete the FDLE background check/fingerprinting with the School Board of Broward County ($47).
Patient Care Technician:
The Patient Care Technician program offers you the skills to establish yourself as a multiskilled health care worker in a growing health care field. Under the direct supervision of a professional nurse, the Patient Care Technician will come in direct contact with the patient in the performance of their assigned duties. Upon successful completion of the program you may take the State Nursing Assistant Certification Examination. This is an excellent course for students with no previous medical field experience, who wish to enter other Health Science Education Programs. This program articulates into the Practical Nursing Program offered at one of the Broward Technical Centers.
NCLEX-PN Review Course:
The NCLEX-PN Review course at McFatter Technical Center enables you to have increased confidence and reduce test anxiety by being fully prepared for the test experience. Join us today!!!