NEXT CLASS BEGINS AUGUST 2015
This program prepares students for employment as an Optometric Assistant. Experience is provided in laboratories and in the offices of local vision care practitioners. Instruction is designed to enable individuals to: Achieve objectives in the following content areas:
- Ocular anatomy and physiology
- Physical and geometric optics
- Vision testing procedures
- Contact lens theory and practice
- Prescription ordering and verification
- Frame selection
- Eyewear fabrication
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Office management procedures including
- computer skills
- legal and ethical aspects of optometry
- safety and clinical practices
- employability skills
||Basic Healthcare Worker
|Optometric Assistant I
||Optometric Assistant II
||Optometric Assistant III
- Students must have a regionally accredited high school diploma or GED upon entry.
- Take the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) to qualify for the program. Please visit the Registration Office with $10 and a photo ID to schedule.
- Schedule to meet with the program counselor to review TABE scores and enroll in ABE/AAAE classes, if necessary.
- Attend a Medical Technology Orientation (by appointment only).
- Complete FAFSA application online, if needed, and contact the Financial Aid Department at (754) 321-5738.
- Register for the next available Optometric Assisting course.
Total Program Length: FULL TIME: 1080 Hours/10 months
Monday - Friday; 8:00 am to 2:30 pm
Industry Certifications Available:
- Certified Para-Optometric Assistant Exam
This program is recognized by the Para-Optometric Section of the American Optometric Association.
Degree College Credit Transfer OpportunityInformation:
Graduates who complete the Optometric Assisting program and pass the Certified Paraoptometric Assistant (CPOA) examination may qualify for matriculation to the Broward College Opticianry program. The graduate will receive 22 credits towards an Associate in Science (AS) or Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree from Broward College.
Ms. Meghan Emerson, Counselor for Optometric Assistant
Approximate Total Program Cost - Tuition and Fees (Books and Materials are Extra):*
Florida Resident: $3234.*
Non-Florida Resident - call (754) 321-5891 for further information
*Prices are subject to change without notice.